Today’s Tip is from our occupational therapy department. Don’t miss the two resource links at the end that I’m sure will be helpful.
Stay healthy, stay positive!
SENSORY/MOTOR PLAY TIPS
- LIMIT screen time
- Provide tactile sensory opportunities such as sensory bins, messy play, and playdoh daily;
- Use weighted blankets and lycra sheets for calming affect;
- Fidgets can help with focus during non-preferred activities;
- Use and redirect oral motor needs to chewies;
- Provide heavy work and movement activities at least every 30 minutes; this can include obstacle courses, yoga, music, sports, or anything fun you can think of!
- Motor planning opportunities like charades, hitting balloons back and forth, and “Simon Says” type games are fun and can be done in the home!
- Board games with the family are highly recommended at this time! I recommend anything by Peaceable Kingdom.
I really like this resource for sensory and motor development activity ideas for the week:
Here is another good resource for parents: